Total Pageviews

Monday, November 29, 2010

Bit of a rant

Ok, so here's the deal.  I am jobless right now.  I have been jobless since last New Year's Eve when the temp agency I was working for so kindly let me know the position was over.  With no notice.  On New Years.  THANKS GUYS!  If you ever need a temp job, stay far away from Sparks Personnel Services.  Anyway, with that out of the way.........

As a nursing student, you can apply for your CNA after you complete your first semester.  Which I have.  After that, you can work as a nurse's assistant pretty much anywhere.  Here's the rub though.  To work in a HOSPITAL as a CNA, I am finding, you have to have experience.  Nursing homes usually not so much.  BUT many (if not most) nursing homes require you to have a GNA (Geriatric Nursing Assistant) which requires you to take an additional test and whatnot.  But here's the REAL kicker.  With my program, I can't APPLY for a GNA.  Yes, that's right, I would have to take an additional 6-12 month course, WITH more clinical time to learn skills that I have already been taught and have used umpteen million times already.  Its MADDENING!  Same thing for anything clerical.  EVERYONE wants 1-2 years of experience in a doctor's office.  WELL HOW THE FRIKITY FRAK do you get the experience when NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU?  Bottom line is, I need a job.  I'd LIKE to get a job somewhat healthcare related, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for me.

Who knows, I might be unemployed until graduation.  My primary field is insurance, and God knows THAT isn't hiring right now.  Plus I've been out of the industry so long...................so yeah.  Huge vent.  But at least you were warned!

1 comment:

  1. that sucks, but at least we can drink it out over lunch tomorrow

    ReplyDelete